Leigh Extence
Fine Antique Clocks

English Watch Company

Return to Catalogue Index
In 1871 Aaron Dennison, freshly arrived from his tour of Europe having been a founder of the American watch company that was to  become Waltham, set up the Anglo-American Watch Company. In 1874 he wound the business up and sold on to William Bragge,  who renamed it he English Watch Company, this being the time that Dennison went alone with his watch case business with a  contract from Waltham. William handed over control of the business to his son Robert in 1883, but by 1895 the competition from  other competitors and the importing of machine-made watches from the continent saw the company go into voluntary liquidation.   It is known that in 1897 the factories machinery had been dismantled, possibly to be used by another concern, or another business  took the name, maybe H Williamson, as a watch fragment of Williamson’s, manufactured circa 1905, is stamped English Watch  Company, London.  Movements usually had a three-arm balance, or occasionally a bi-metallic balance, with the  balance cock generally well engraved  and with a going-barrel There were generally fitted with traditional a Bosley regulation or sometimes a Swiss style regulation.  The following four exhibits as in plate 43, as shown below, from the Cutmore book Watches.  1 S. Wotton, Paignton: as signed on the dial, and numbered on the backlate W1290202, the frame stamped with a repeat of the  serial number and with the trademark for EWC, with a gold three-arm balance. (Shown in the plate, top left)  Silvanus Wotton is recorded working at 2, Church Street in 1889, 9 Victoria Street in 1893 with his son George Wotton working there  alone from 1897.  2 H. Samuel, 97 Market St, Manchester: as signed on the dial and backplate, with a steel three-arm balance, the frame  stamped with a repeat of the serial number. (Shown in the plate, top right)  3 Croydon & Son, Devonport, By Appointment to the Admiralty: as signed on the dial, and numbered on the backplate  11024, the frame stamped Hassler’s Patent and with the EWC trademark, with a steel three-arm balance. (Shown in the plate,  bottom left).  Charles Croydon is recorded working in Fore Street from 1844 until at least 1878 and then as and Son at 20 Fore Street circa 1890.  4 Warranted English Make, 188137: with the number on the engraved balance cock, with a traditional Bosley regulation, with a  bi-metallic  balance, the frame stamped with a repeat of the serial number and the EWC trademark. (Shown in the plate, bottom  right)  Other Examples  5 English Watch Co. Ltd, Birmingham, 47563 V: as signed on the backplate and the only one in the collection actually signed  by the English Watch Co, with a plain balance cock and steel three-arm balance, the frame stamped Hassler’s Patent along with the  EWC trademark and a repeat of the serial number, the dust cap stamped for Furneaux.  6 H.H. Hill, Hatherleigh,179869: as signed on the backplate, with an engraved balance cock and gold three-arm balance, the  frame stamped with the EWC trademark and numbered.  Henry H. Hill is recorded working at Church Gate circa 1889 and then Bridge Street from 1893 until at least 1902.  7 Chas. Croydon, Devonport, By Appointment to the Admiralty, 3692: with an engraved balance cock and steel three-arm  balance and with, the frame stamped Hassler’s Patent and with a repeat of the serial number.  Charles Croydon is recorded working in Fore Street from 1844 until at least 1878 and then as and Son at 20 Fore Street circa 1890. Images from the Cutmore book Watches showing exhibits 1,2,3 & 4 from this section
5  English Watch Co
7  Chas Croydon: 3   Croydon & Son
3  Croydon & Son Dial
7 & 3 Bottom Plates
4  Warranted English
4  Bottom Plate
Click on Image below to Enlarge
5  Bottom Plate